Table of Contents
Many people find the idea of being a freelance writer exciting and wonder which pros and cons are there in such kind of work. Here is a list of benefits and disadvantages of being a freelancer that will shed some light into what it is like to do what I do.
Pros of Freelance Writing as a Career
- Freedom and flexibility. Each person who turns to freelancing finds out that such lifestyle provides him/her with freedom he/she could never have with a 9-5 job.
- Ability to work on many different projects. If you get bored very quickly, you will probably enjoy job opportunities freelance can give you, as you will have a chance to complete a range of various assignments, and no two days will be ever alike.
- Ability to complete your work from any place. This is very alluring to travelers who value freedom and flexibility of work schedule without a need to sacrifice a chance to make a living. Besides, it is an amazing option for retirees looking for a way of making some extra income.
- Ability to make your own decisions. If you would like to decide when and where to work, which assignments to complete, and what to do at Monday noon, you will hardly find traditional jobs which let you do this.
- High income potential. If you know certain tips for writers, you can use them to increase your overall earnings.
Cons of Freelance Writing
- Finding clients takes time. You are almost always searching for work and looking for new options.
- Instability. You have to realize that there are seasons in writing. Some months, you will find that there is almost nothing to write, while other times, you will be drowning in work. However, with time, you will probably learn to work extra when there is plenty of work to compensate for slow times.
- Sometimes, it is difficult to maintain work-life balance. When you are your own boss and you work from your own place, you could always be working. Some writers like this as they can work as much as they want. However, others do not like the pressure of being “always on.”
- You have to either be on or not be earning. With most traditional jobs, you get paid regardless of whether you are highly productive or not. But if you are a freelance writer, you are only getting income when you are productive. You have to learn to avoid distractions, power through writer’s block and complete the assignments whether you want or not, otherwise you do not get paid.